Gena Lee Nolin’s Blog: How To Keep Your Love Alive

IMG_8159

Mom-of-four Gena Lee Nolin is inviting Celebrity Baby Scoop readers along as she shares her life experiences – and asks for advice – as she juggles her busy life with husband, former NHL star Cale Hulse, and their four children: Spencer, 16, Caia, 11, Hudson, 6, and Stella, 4.

In her latest blog post, Gena shares how she met the love of her life on a blind date. Although reluctant at first, the former Baywatch star talks about their immediate strong connection, how they “work together as a team everyday,” and how “the moments of hardships and the growing pains make it real.”

For more information on Gena Lee Nolin, please check out her official website.

“My husband and I met on a blind date September 2, 2003 at Starbucks. I reluctantly met this ‘mystery man’ after my good friend insisted time and again he was the nicest guy she’d ever met in hockey. All I knew was that he played professional hockey and was recently traded to our local team. My previous relationship was with a pro-baseball player – which was extremely tumultuous – so to say I was a bit gun shy was an understatement.

I have to admit when my friend uttered the words ‘professional athlete’ I shut it down immediately and thought she was nuts! It did take some convincing for me to give out my number, but in the end, I trusted my friend. When he called he was polite and seemed extremely genuine. Then I had a quick flashback of my nightmare with ‘Baseball Boy’ and thought if this guy thinks he’s going to get a Pamela Anderson, he’s sorely mistaken.

I called him without warning to meet for a quick coffee — that way I could get out easily if he wasn’t my type. When he answered the phone, he said he was at Home Depot and could be there in 20 minutes. Uh-oh, snap, crackle, pop! I threw on a tee and a pair of jeans, leaving the house without a trace of make-up! Perfect.

I casually walked into Starbucks and before my eyes stood a 6’3 blonde adonis! He said softly, ‘You must be Gena.’ I paused….. ‘Ahhhhhh, yes!’ I was thinking to myself, ‘You dumb cluck, why on God’s green earth didn’t you put on a little make-up and fix yourself up a bit!’

He had ordered my coffee ahead of time, so we found a cozy corner and talked for over 3 hours. He was well read, educated and interesting! Forget the fact that he could’ve modeled for GQ, played pro-hockey and was at Home Depot [laughs]!

To my surprise, I felt really comfortable with this guy, like I’d known him my entire life. Suffice to say, we hit it off! He called the next day asking for a ‘real date,’ and as they say in Hollywood, the rest was history! Exactly one year to the day, we were married in front of one hundred of our closest friends and family. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house as we exchanged our vows, including my own. Everyone knew this was different, it was true love unfolding in front of them.

In every marriage it takes work and it isn’t always easy street. In our 11 years together, it didn’t include magic dust, darn it! We have to work together as a team everyday. The stress of having 4 kids (his, mine and ours) can take a toll, but we’ve always talked things through, understanding that it’s our responsibility and as long as we’re on the same page, things move along pretty smoothly.

I can’t speak for you all, but it’s the little things that make the biggest difference. For instance, the other day he wrote me a love letter with the lyrics to a song he said was ‘our song.’ It’s called Future Days by Pearl Jam. He printed out the lyrics and put the song on my iPhone with a note. It’s those magic moments that make me fall in love with him again and again! I can’t stress how important date nights are, getting away from every day life to just focus on the two of you really nurtures your relationship.

Love is beautiful when it’s right — it can’t be bought, it can’t be forced and it should never hurt [abusive]. The moments of hardships and the growing pains we go through together make it real. If it were always easy, it would be a bore. Great things in life are worth fighting for, and that usually requires work.

I am so blessed to have found a man who accepts me for me. He’s never once told me what, where or how I should do something. He allows me to be me and loves my silly-willy ways. He encourages my family and friends to be around, he’s a very confident man that wants to see me happy (as I do for him). Unconditional love is such a rare gift — that’s accepting your partner exactly the way they are.

This Valentine’s Day will be spent with our children, decorating boxes for school parties and cutting lots of pink and red hearts. Then we’re off for a quiet dinner for two followed by a night at a hotel with my Valentine. Zzzzzzz!

Here are my tips for keeping your love alive:

• Communication;
  • Respecting one another and listening to each of your needs;
  • Take time, even 5 minutes, to write little notes saying you love them or that you’re thinking of them;
  • Make sure you give your partner space, everyone needs alone time. As they say, absence makes the heart grow founder;
  • Don’t take each other for granted, not for one moment. Love needs to be nurtured, just like flowers need the sun;
  • Have date nights! It reminds you of what made you two kids fall in love in the first place;
  • Intimacy! This can be as simple as dancing in your backyard, kissing is always nice, maybe deep conversation, and as my grandma would say, ‘A good roll in the hay isn’t bad either!’ [Hmmm!];

My grandmother once told me the secret to her and my grandfathers long, beautiful marriage. She said, ‘Never go to bed angry, forgive one another and have lots of sex!’ Oh, Grandma Marie!

Sadly, she lost the love of her life suddenly to a heart attack and never once thought of dating since his passing 33 years ago. She’s 93 years old and still talks about her true love as if it were yesterday.

May you always treasure the love you hold, it’s such a blessing! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Love & Light, Gena Lee Nolin

Filed under: Celebrity Blogger,Exclusives,Featured,Gena Lee Nolin

Photo credit: Courtesy of Gena Lee NolinG

1. Pingback: Gena Lee Nolin’s Blog: How To Keep Your Love Alive |Parkkar Lifestyles and News

2. Sheryl

Soooo good Gena! Wishing you two love birds a Happy Valentine’s Day!

3. dean

way to go cale!!! what a lady and beautiful family to go along with her! happy v day bro.

4. Debbie

I think you’re great Ms. Gena Lee! What a beautifully written piece on love and what matters. So happy for you two & love the photos. Thanks for the inspiration we all need. Happy Valentine’s Day to the most precious couple I’ve ever seen.

5. Sammy

I think your outlook on love and relationships is spot on! You do so much for us and I appreciate iyour advocacy. I have to say that I think your physically more beautiful now then ever before. Maybe ibecause of your inner kindness that shines so bright. Keep writing, you make the world smile!

6. Nicole & Book Club

We want the love ya’ll have!!! You’ve inspired us single mom’s that we can find love again too. We’re sitting here in Jackson, MS drooling over ya’ll’s photos, not many men look like Cale here around these parts. He’s hottie not like “Baseball Boy” lol! Lord, some good ole humor on you girl! God bless & Happy Valentine’s Day.

7. teri

Loved every part of this blog! I envy the love I see between you and your gorgeous husband. What wise words from your sweet grandmother too, made me giggle. Thank you & enjoy your Valentine’s Day.

8. Sandra

Gena, you’ve given people such inspiration with this blog. We get down and out as single mom’s and this was just what I needed to read. PS- I love the photo of you two dancing!

You’re absolutely gorgeous!!!

10. Jo

Don’t forget us women who envy your husband! I watched you kick ass on Sheena every week drooling. I’d love to meet you in person to get my Sheena photo signed and give you a big hug!

11. Darren

Gena, you’re always the one giving away the compliments, but it’s time to give you one. You are by far one of the best wives I’ve seen first hand! Supportive, loving, great mother and always thinking of others before yourself. Cale’s a lucky man to have you as a partner. Yes, he’s great too! But man, you take the cake in the wife department. We both enjoyed the blog, see you guys soon.
    D&C

12. Darren

PS- Cale watch out buddy, they’re coming from both sides of the fence for your wife!

13. Trish

Gena, I just saw this on twitter! I laughed and cried because I’m husbandless! Just went through a nasty divorce, we’re better off for the kids sake. It’s just so hard. I want to say thank you. I’m on TS and really don’t know what I’d do without you. Love Trish

14. Keith

Love you Gena! Great friend & advocate!

15. Nadine

You’re so damn gorgous in every way! Spencer, Caia, Hudson & Stella’s mom “has got it going on”! AND Cale, you’ve got one hell of a wife! I’ve loved her since Baywatch, then of course her tough role on Sheena! Best babe to play that part!

16. Tom

I loved you in everything you’ve done! I remember your first appearance on “The Price Is Right”! Big fan as your career took off! You seriously look better today then you did when I saw you on the beach filming. Happy for you and your family Gena. I have a lot of rescept for you and what you’re doing. God bless

17. Diamondbacks VIP

Baseball Boy? LMAO You do mean David Dellucci didn’t you? He was a total playboy that did every thing to keep a clean image. I remember he publicly put you down in an interview with Dan Binkley after you broke up and you never once said a word. He’d brag in the clubhouse that you gave back your engagement ring! You’re such a class act Gena and your husband is equally! David trying to work for Fox Sports & the Diamondbacks orgainiztion, no chance! (Even with his director friend) Enjoyed talking fishing & golf with Cale, he’s a tough son of bitch I wouldn’t want to mess with. If his wife Rachel only knew what he did on her while playing for the Rangers & Phillis! The guy couldn’t give up his road beef! Anyway, after our long chat I realized what an unbelievable woman you are a reL sweetheart that deserved some public praise.
    I’ll call Mr. Cale for golf this week per Mr. Derrick’s request!

18. Lisa

I’ve heard he dated every girl in Arizona while being in a serious relationship with my BFF Amy from Houston! He’s a piece of work! Happy to read about your success and your beautiful family! I was diagnosed in 2011 with hashimotos, it’s been hard but working through it. Luckily, I have a supportive husband and precious daughter Tegan that keep me going. Loved your book, you’re helping so many! Loved the photos, BTW- Cale is 100% hotter then mole face David. I’ve met him many times with Amy, God has blessed you Gena!

19. Nick

Gena, I love you and we’re happy that you support gay marriages and equal rights! Your beauty comes from within & it knocks me out. lol I’d love to meet you if you ever sign again. Has anyone every told you that you look like Christie Brinkley? Twins, but the much younger twin. HOT HOT HOT!!! I have a woman crush for sure.

20. Neely

OMG I dated David Dellucci too! He flew me out to spring training, what an ass-mole! He also talked about you the entire weekend. What you’d wear, that you were gorgeous without makeup & a big actress! (not fun for me lol) He thought it was SO funny that my name was your characters name on Baywatch. Enough of him, I live in Louisiana, happily married and we have ourselves a busy baby boy. Thank you for being your beautiful self and giving so much to thyroid sexy! He was right, you are just as beautiful as can be! Bless your heart Gena Lee! God works in such amazing ways, he brought us back together through this amazing blog.

21. Dana

Gena, loved the new blog! You inspire, you make people think & I believe this is just another one of your beautiful gifts to the world. Enjoy your Valentine’s Day.
    Best,
    Dana

22. Heather & Uncle Frank ;)

Great taste in music Cale! “Future Day’s” was written for Jill Vedder, Ed’s wife! Beautiful song for an exceptional couple! Captivated by the photos and the vulnerability this blog has shared. Love like this is in fact rare. Cherish!

23. JJ

I’ve been married for 6 years with two beautiful boys & it’s so hard to keep it all together as a mother & wife. It would be so easy for women to be jealous of you, but as soon as you write, your relatable voice screams humility and kindness! One word, “Inspiration!”