Woody Allen’s “Overwhelming Sadness” At False Allegations

Exclusive... Woody Allen Poses In Nice

Woody Allen‘s attorney denied sexual abuse allegations against the critically acclaimed director Tuesday. But no blame was placed on Dylan Farrow for making them.

“His reaction is one of overwhelming sadness because of what has happened to Dylan,” Elkan Abramowitz told the Today show when asked how Allen, 78, reacted to his onetime adopted daughter’s open letter in The New York Times claiming he abused her.

“She was a pawn in a huge fight between him and Mia Farrow years ago, and the idea that she was molested was implanted in her by her mother,” Abramowitz said. “That memory is never going to go away. So the fact that she says this now, that it happened 20 years ago, is totally understandable.”

Abramowitz said Mia Farrow was furious at Allen for having started up a relationship with then 19-year-old Soon-Yi Previn in 1992 — Farrow had adopted Soon-Yi with musician André Previn.

In the letter, Dylan wrote, “(W)hen I was 7 years old, Woody Allen took me by the hand and led me into a dim, closet-like attic on the second floor of our house. He told me to lay on my stomach and play with my brother’s electric train set. Then he sexually assaulted me.”

Asked why a grown woman would lie – Dylan is now 28, married and living in Florida under a different name – Abramowitz said: “In my view, she’s not lying. I think she truly believes this happened. That’s what the vice of this is. When you implant a story in a fragile 7-year-old’s mind, it stays there forever. It never goes away.”

Abramowitz added: “Woody Allen is not interested in suing anybody for defamation. He was determined not to have molested his daughter 20 years ago. The case is over. There is no case. The fact that it is being brought up now is suspect. The timing is suspect.”

Pressed on that last statement, Abramowitz said: “I think that it’s a continuation of Mia Farrow’s desire to hurt Woody Allen. And Woody Allen is now riding fairly high. He got the Golden Globe Award for lifetime achievement, which he totally deserved. And I believe it revived the anger that she has toward him.”

Filed under: Woody Allen

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. Cam

Sorry Woody, not buying it. Your relationship with your step daughter makes you a creeper and I believe you are totally capable of what Dylan is alleging. I figure in 10 or 20 years we’ll be hearing from your two other adopted daughters.

• mrs. trumbell

ditto. he’s DISGUSTING.

there is a TON of smoke surrounding him. it’s not just soon yi. it’s not just dylan.

wasn’t his first wife like 16 when he married her too?

and then there are his own words (from a pre-internet age, so i’m sure he thought he could get away with being so brazen about his guilt):

Woody will admit now only to “dating around” and living with girls for stretches ranging from “two days to two weeks—if you call that living together.” Could he possibly have mellowed from the days when his movies rated horniness as a human malaise second only to bubonic plague? “I try to have sex only with women I like a lot,” Woody explains solemnly. “Otherwise I find it fairly mechanical.” (He has little interest in family life: “It’s no accomplishment to have or raise kids. Any fool can do it.”)

He goes on: “I’m open-minded about sex. I’m not above reproach; if anything, I’m below reproach. I mean, if I was caught in a love nest with 15 12-year-old girls tomorrow, people would think, yeah, I always knew that about him.” Allen pauses. “Nothing I could come up with would surprise anyone,” he ventures helplessly. “I admit to it all.”

that’s from people magazine. it can be found on their web archives under “angst ridden humorist”.

• scooter

adopted daughter not stepdaughter! even more gross.

2. Evellina

Any of those photos of Woody holding Dylan, she looks absolutely miserable. Poor child. Even then he may have been practicing inappropriate behaviour.

3. SiervaMaria

I of course don’t know if it happened or not but the thing that bothers me most of all is this notion that for some Woody Allen MUST be innocent because he’s “Woody Allen!”

4. anonymous

sickening and sad…. he should be prosecuted if this is true!

• scooter

I think there’s statute of limitations on sexual abuse. I remember Corey Feldman saying that his Hollywood agent abuser can’t be charged because it has been too many years. And that’s sad because many victims do not have the strength and courage and ability to deal with these issues until they are way into adulthood.

• Lou

How long do you have in America to file sexual abuse? I only ask because here in the UK there have been loads of historical cases that are only now coming to light, so i assume there is no limit over here.

5. Noinin

I don’t know what he did or not… But clearly people are so willing to find who, between Mia Farrow and Woody Allen is the evil one.
    But the real victim will always be Dylan. She was abandoned at birth, and then abused by at least one of her adoptive parents, either sexually or psychologically, and it’s really sad.

6. laura

Well, our culture and sense of right obliges us to consider anybody innocent until they’re proven guilty, and we obviously have no way of knowing the truth for sure, but if I have to say how I feel, he does look like a pervert for starting a relationship with his 19 year old stepdaughter, when he is 40 years older than her. It does look creepy, so I believe it’s possible that it’s true, it would be in character.

7. casey

Unfortunately you lose all credibility when you marry your daughter.

8. Jen

HE has sadness for her?! He was the one who most likely put her through this hell!! What a sicko. I feel so much for her. She is very brave to put this out there and be a role model for victims of sexual abuse. This guy needs to be locked up!!

9. Mickey

And what if it didn’t happen? How’s that for him? It’s not unlikely that his daughter got convinced that it happened because her mother made her believe it. Her brother is denying it.

Besides, Mia Farrow desperately wanted to be in a movie of his at the time it supposedly happened. Isn’t that very weird?

Just look at the interview ‘Woody Allen’s side of the story’:

10. Trevor

I have not watched any movie of his for about 20 years…….I have always believed something was terribly wrong. I thought of Dylan, every time he was mentioned.

11. Pingback: Woody Allen’s “Overwhelming Sadness” on false allegations | GLORY LIFE - Woody Allen's "Overwhelming Sadness" on false allegations