Mayim Bialik: I’m A “Hippie Mama”

BabyCakes

Mayim Bialik raises her children Miles, 8 and Fred, 5, as Vegans. The Big Bang Theory actress – who has a new cookbook out called Mayim’s Vegan Table - says since they are home schooled – it’s been easier for her to have them to follow the vegan lifestyle.

“But you don’t have to home schooled to keep your children vegan,” she said in an interview with One Green Planet.

Mayim added that it’s about teaching kids that “animals have feelings and experiences and lives.”

She also said, “It’s about not going to zoos and about being very clear with my children that Momma gets sad at zoos…momma doesn’t go to the circus. These things won’t work for us.”

A self-proclaimed “hippie mama”  – she makes her kids’ shampoos and avoids commercial cleaning products. The single mom is also a big supporter of breastfeeding. In February she explained why she had no regrets on doing so in public.

She told The Huffington Post, “I think anywhere you give a bottle, you breastfeed. I didn’t feel the need to be immodest, but also feel like that’s going to vary from woman to woman. I would try and be, absolutely, respectful and conscious of the community I was in, but I don’t believe you need to cover up a baby eating, anymore than you need to cover up a baby drinking a bottle.”

“Breastfeeding is not a sexual act. It’s an intimate act, and that makes some people uncomfortable. But that’s completely normal to have all of the humane hormones that are released when you breastfeed regulating your relationship with your child — that’s simply normal.”

Divorced from her ex-husband Michael Stone - Mayim claims he’s a great dad.

“Even though I’m divorced, I’m very grateful to my son’s father for being an incredible present parent,” she told E! News at the 20th SAG Awards Preview Day.

“He’s home with them when I’m at work and he’s their full-time dad when I’m not with them, so that’s how I do it. We don’t use a nanny and I clean my own toilets, famously, and I make my own food and have a very kind of simple life that way. There’s no magic. They have their father taking care of them and that’s how our life works,” Bialik continued. “But I have tremendous respect for moms who are juggling daycare, two parents working and all that stuff. I don’t know how I would do that.

“It’s incredibly difficult, and I appreciate that I’m a public person and people say, ‘Oh, you balance it well,’ but there are women who balance a lot more than I do with a lot more grace and a lot less resources. So I try not to say, ‘I’ve figured it all out!’ because I have a lot of support and there are women who don’t.”

Filed under: Mayim Bialik

Photo credit: Kveller.com

1. Danielle

Veganism is not healthy! Also makes me laugh when people say its for the environment then you look at what they’re eating and it’ll be random imported foods.
    Improve farming don’t go vegan.

• SiervaMaria

It not being healthy is your opinion based on nothing you’ve provided to argue that thesis. Why do people assert that they are the last word on a subject as if no one would DARE question it? Rather pompous and arrogant don’t you think.

• Danielle

I could provide plenty on how veganism isn’t healthy but this isn’t really the place. Barry Groves covers some http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/veg_index.html#.Uyrm-Fwb5g0
        Some societies are vegetarian but they are not vegan and rely on dairy still for protein. Had we been vegetarian in the early days people would not be here to eat their speciality foods. My friends husband is vegan (she is not and neither is their son) but he eats fake meats, fake cheese. You look up the ingredients and its processed and unnatural. Soy is not healthy which is another ingredient people substitute real food for.
        I do not eat burgers, haven’t set foot in a McDonlads neither have my kids. But I do eat real food, meat from grass fed animals, seasonal veg etc.

2. Devon

Oh man. I love her so much but veganism is not for children. It has such health consequences and forcing your children to live that lifestyle is tantamount to abuse in my opinion. And I used to be vegan.

• SiervaMaria

My God! Who ARE you people?! What credentials do any of you have to state so empathically that this diet is or isn’t right for a kid?! I’m finding it rather insulting that cultures that have thrived on a chosen diet that is predominately plant based if not totally. So you’re were once a vegan is the singular voice deciding it’s tantamount to abuse has got to be one of the most irresponsible things I’ve ever read.

• Devon

Let me clarify my statement:

There is not a single vegan culture in the history of mankind. Veganism is a product of modern affluent society that allows people to have such a choice.

The human body is designed to be omnivorous, with canine teeth. A large reason why we have survived and flourished over history is due to our reliance on animal for food as well as the skins and furs to keep us warm. The human race owes much of its success to the animal kingdom.

As difficult as it is for some of us to think about eating sentient animals, it is our human nature. We have not evolved out of needing animal proteins, fats and nutrients. There are many vitamins and minerals available in these foods that you cannot find elsewhere. Optimal health cannot be achieved without animals.

Also, there is a distinction between vegetarianism and veganism… Vegetarians still consume eggs, dairy and other animal foods which makes a world of difference to health. Veganism is limiting and not appropriate for growing children’s brains and bodies.

To force a child to be vegan denies them their right as a human to meet their biological needs. I find it sad that mayim uses guilt to teach her children not to eat meat… Saying we don’t eat meat because it makes mommy sad. This is not much different than making children ashamed and guilty of their bodies for other reasons such as sexuality.

Human beings have a physiological desire to eat animal foods, and as much as we would like to deny this need, it is very real and very necessary.

Instead of making them vegan, teach your children about healthy farming practices and organic grass fed animal foods… Do not shame them or deny them their biological imperative as humans to be omnivorous.

3. Laine

They won’t be vegan forever. As soon as they can break free they won’t listen to her and will eat what they choose. It will almost certainly include more than what they’re getting now. It is unfortunate as children they are forced to live this lifestyle.

• Any Name I Want To Be

I’m not sure what it is you think they’re missing by being raised vegan. There’s vegan candies and cakes, so they can still get the “junk food” that most people seem to think kids want/need. Being raised on alternatives to meat, they may never crave the taste of beef, but I guess when they’re grown that’ll be their choice.

I couldn’t be vegan, I couldn’t even be vegetarian… but I don’t think it’s tragic if someone else chooses that for their kids.

4. Lia

You three are ridiculous. There’s nothing unhealthy about being a vegan or vegetarian, especially when you have the experience and brains (like Mayim) to know how to do it the right way. Health consequences? Not sure what you’re talking about. The nutrients our bodies need don’t come solely from animal products. Comparing veganism to child abuse is silly. Yeah, they might grow out of it and decide to make their own dietary choices down the line, but there’s nothing wrong with bringing kids up vegan if you know what you’re doing. It can help teach your kids the basics of a healthy lifestyle that they can carry with them throughout the rest of their lives, which is more than a lot of other parents do.

5. Olivia

Veganism can indeed be healthy, the people commenting here are misinformed.

6. Katuska

I want a cupcake!

7. Chrissy

A friend of mine has raised her son vegetarian since birth. But when he turned 3, he declared that “Lions eat meat so I want to eat meat”. Even if it grosses her out, she started to include lunch meat and chicken in his diet, and he loooves it.

It doesn’t sound to me like Mayim would respect her children’s individual choices like that, and that’s what bothers me. What if her son wanted to become a zookeeper (there are great zoos out there that protect endangered species), or a circus acrobat, or the owner of a steakhouse :) ? Would she support and love them in their own paths?