Gena Lee Nolin’s Blog: Girls vs. Boys

DSC05883.JPG

Mom-of-four Gena Lee Nolin is inviting Celebrity Baby Scoop readers along as she shares her life experiences – and asks for advice – as she juggles her busy life with husband, former NHL star Cale Hulse, and their four children: Spencer, 17, Caia, 12, Hudson, 8, and Stella, 5.

In her latest blog post, Gena contemplates the differences between raising girls versus boys. The former Baywatch star says, “Boys are way easier than girls,” and goes on to share some family stories to prove her theory. Continue reading Gena’s thoughtful blog, titled, “Girls vs. Boys.”

For more information on Gena Lee Nolin, please check out her official website.

“Girls vs. Boys

When I was asked to write an article on the differences between boys and girls, I jumped at the opportunity. What’s been said about women through the years is, with out a doubt, true. We’re hormonal, emotional creatures — and sometimes yes means no and no means yes.

I’m proud to say that even with our raging complexities, women create miracles with childbirth, and have an innate motherly instinct that our counterparts don’t have. The yin and yang between men and women has created the perfect balance — and let me tell you, there’s a difference when raising them!

After having two healthy boys and a beautiful step-daughter, we thought we were done. Things were sailing along until a little over a year had passed and I started having these overwhelming thoughts of having another baby. I’d shake it off thinking we had the perfect family, and we’d already agreed that we were done. I sat my husband down expressing my baby feelings, and to my surprise, he wasn’t completely against it. Weeks went by and he said, ‘You know, I’ve been thinking about what you said and someone’s missing from this family, let’s do it!’

Literally… we did [laughs]!

I’m a planner by nature, so this baby already had a due date. When we learned I was pregnant, everyone in both our families was absolutely thrilled! Being that I had 2 boys full time, I really yearned for a baby girl this time around. When I found out I was carrying a girl, I cried all the way through the movie Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants – happy, glorious tears of laughter and disbelief!

We wanted our son Hudson (who wasn’t even two at the time) to be close in age to his younger sibling. Smart move! I can’t stress how important it is to have siblings close in age. It’s hard for the first few years, but then they really become best buds.

Spencer was much older — 9 years between him and Hudson, so not much in common until just lately. Spencer teaches him piano, they ride bikes, play tennis, etc. The bond will get stronger as they get older, but it’s still hard to relate to one another. The kid is almost 17-years-old — Dino Dan isn’t high on his list of favorite shows [laughs].

I can only speak for myself, but girlfriends, boys are way easier than girls!

My boys came home from the hospital with a sh*t eating grin, like they knew they had me at their first cry. And they did. They’d sleep for hours on end, a little moan for the boob, a diaper change, and then back to dreamland. As they grew, and I’ll say it again, all they wanted was a good meal, sleep and a swing at the park. It seemed to be a breeze and I felt very confident with each child under any condition. The boys were always cuddle bugs with me and preferred being with mama over dada. Actually, with that being said, mama were both of their first words.

The twos and threes can be a bit challenging with the standard tantrums, potty training issues, and just listening to basic logic [laughs]. Other than the obvious, it was truly easy and fun with both of my baby boys.

Drumroll please…and then Miss Stella Monroe Hulse debuted December 3, 2008 at a healthy 7lbs 3oz. She was perfect — a beautiful baby and I’m not just saying that because she was mine. She was the talk of the maternity ward among the nurses. I was in the hospital a few days longer because of a C-section and that gave us time to really bond. Cale was at home with the boys and it was just the two of us, eye to eye, as she laid on my chest her first night. I was in love and she was all mine.

We arrived home to a house full of curious boys that were a little unsure. Pink was everywhere — I mean everywhere! So, it was fun to watch them all settle into our new family member. Two weeks went by and things ran smoothly — lots of sleep, feeding every 2-3 hours, the usual newborn routine. Until, suddenly, screaming morning, noon and night! I rocked her, sang to her, walked her, put her on top of the dryer in her moses basket, praying the hum of the machine would soothe her.

Nothing worked, so off I went to the pediatrician for help. I was exhausted — thankfully my husband is a very hands-on father. We had tried everything, changing formula, back to the boob, formula, and so on. This went on for awhile, taking shifts, so the other could get some sleep. I learned that my sweet little twinkle toed daughter had a set of lungs on her that I’d never heard before. It had an ear-piercing pitch that would stop people dead in their tracks — everyone knew when we arrived at the party [laughs].

I put a soother in her mouth hoping to heavens it would help ‘soothe’ her. Suddenly, it got quiet! She suckled that thing like Maggie from The Simpsons and I instantly felt my blood pressure dropping back to normal.

She’s still my pistol — very athletic, smart as a whip, reading and talking early on, no surprise. And FYI, my husband wanted you to know that Stella’s first word was, dada!

Whatever it was, it was definitely unexpected and now that we see her thriving and growing beautifully, it’s a great relief.

What a joy to be given the gift of raising both boys and girls. They are so very different and both the loves of my life. The world would be such a bore for only one, that God created two. So different, yet all united in perfect form for us to learn, grow and inspire from the other.”

Filed under: Celebrity Blogger,Exclusives,Featured,Gena Lee Nolin

Photo credit: Courtesy of Gena Lee Nolin

1. SMH

I do think girls can be more of a challenge but l have a friend, who has a son, that l will be honest if he were mine l would probably lose my mind. Kids are different w different personalities. Girls just happen to be dramatic which is enough to make you rip your hair out lol. I personally know :)

2. stinkface

i have 5 girls and 2 boys……girls are easier, more sensible….my boys are lunatics

3. Tracy

Girls are much harder to raise then boys! My teenage daughter is seriously going to put me in a halfway house by 50 with her dramtic, emotional tyrants over clothes and boys. The girls are also catty at her school, where boys diss the drama. Mine could careless what they wear and way easier to reason with. Do you moms find the girls at school mean?

4. Leslie

I’m blessed with both! My girls were easier the first 7 years and then the attitude and emotions ran high through puberty. The boys were nuts! They settled down around 7-8 yrs old. So, it can be timing too. Girls are delicate going from 0 to 60 in seconds. We’ll get them back in their 20′s. I hope!

5. Erin

Totally agree with Gena. I had the easiest baby boy. He was always smiling & calm wherever we took him. Then came baby #2! She was colicky & difficult for over a year. Now my daughter is in all honor classes and was just awarded (best time) in long distance running at her school. My son on the other hand is struggling academically along with bad behavior. Maybe the ones that scream and yell at us are trying to tell us something. (I know too much & I’m frustrated!) lol good luck to you all & thanks for another fab blog!

6. alana

It depends on the child more than whether one is a boy or girl. My son was a very fussy baby and rarely slept as a toddler. My daughter was always very mellow and slept through the night at two weeks.

• Devon

I agree… I have one year old boy girl twins and so far the girl is easier. I really think it’s just the individual temperament of the baby, not the sex that matters.

7. Karin

I feel for you while reading this blog! Kids come out so differently, one can be happy, while the other screams, regardless of the sex until they get older – then girls are much harder!! Just hope none of you have to deal with any kind of colic, it’s a nightmare for mom, dad and poor baby!
    Alana, fasten your seatbelt for your daughters teen years!

8. Jenn

I have a teen girl and a teen boy. They have very similar personalities. They both have their moments, but all in all, they are great kids. I also know a lot of wonderful teen girls. I never gender stereotype and expect the same from both my kids. Girls always seem to get a bad rap on this site.

9. Keith

I’m a single dad with twins. We did ivf and were blessed with a boy & girl. They’re very different! Girls & all women I know are dramatic and emotional, where men are more trucks, food & easy street. I feel for you having a colicky baby, that’s damn hard. Some are easier then others. That sums it up. Keith

10. Janice

If I had to pick between my girls vs the boys, I’d have to say the girls were much more strong willed and demanding then the boys. Not a bad rap on females, just the truth. It’s actually a compliment, because I feel girls are much more ahead of the game then boys. Enjoy both, they grow fast!

11. Kristi

We have two girls! One is level headed and the other is completely out of her mind. I figure they’re all different and from what I’ve seen girls are more emotional then boys. I let my husband go on a 2 day fishing trip when it’s that time of the month! LOL God bless him.

12. Hannah

I have to admit I was a bit hormonal as a teenage girl, but I was no where near as crazy as my brothers, which is why I was honestly a little disappointed when I found out I was having a boy. My fears were well grounded now that I have just gone through the past year. My son has been active since 14 weeks in the womb and has never stopped going since. He is very stubborn, athletic, strong, and strong-willed. He also very curious and loud. I just slept through my first night two nights ago and he is over a year (and I am not one of those moms who was afraid to use the cry it out method.) He is fun and playful, but he never really cuddles or is into just sitting and doing anything. So much for stories or sitting and doing art projects like I imagined doing with a little girl. My son and brothers are not my only examples of being difficult children. All the boys I have nannied or babysat the past decade and a half before my son were proof of my point as well, and so different then all the girls I have ever watched. Never the less, I love my son and look forward to the challenges ahead.