Halle Berry: “Every Mother Should Breastfeed”

Halle Berry and Nahla enjoy some mother-daughter time at the beach

Academy Award winner Halle Berry is promoting her new film, Frankie & Alice, set to hit theaters April 4. While speaking with Extra, the actress, 47, couldn’t help but gush about her happy family life with husband Olivier Martinez and her two kids: daughter Nahla, 6, and son Maceo, nearly 6 months.

“I just feel great because I have another baby,” Halle shared. “I never thought that at my stage in life another baby — and a baby boy — was coming to me, so yeah, I’m blessed.”

When asked by E! News about Maceo, the new mom-of-two gushed that her little man is “fantastic.”

She went on to confess that having a son is “different” than raising a daughter. “The energy. Whoever says they’re not different from the start, they’ve never had both.”

As for losing the baby weight, the Oscar winner praised breastfeeding.

“Every mother should breastfeed,” she said. “It’s the quickest way to shed the initial weight and then you have to eat right.”

The mom-of-two goes to to talk about juggling her career and family life as she shoots the new TV series Extant.

“What I’m learning to do, trying to right now, is find the balance… my baby is always with me on set,” she shared. “I bring my daughter after school. I have a nursery there, a playroom for her, so I try to make it as nice as I can for them to spend time with them, see them.”

And it sounds like Nahla’s adjustment into big sisterhood is going very well.

“It’s like one of her doll babies came alive,” Halle said. “She gets to take care of him, feed him, change his diapers, play with him, dress him up in different clothes like five times a day because she can, so she loves it.”

The newlywed says she loves watching her hubby on Revenge. “I’m going to follow his little arc along,” she laughed. “I’m very proud of him… I think he’s delicious.”

As for the psychological drama Frankie and Alice, the actress says she was surprised by taking on the dark role.

“If someone had told me that we’re going to do a movie about a black woman [with multiple personalities] who has a white racist living inside her, and a little child who’s a genius living inside her, I would have thought that’s just a made-up story,” Halle shared. “But because it was real, that gave it a gravitas that to me was, ‘Wow, this is real, people should know about this.’”

Frankie (Halle) is based on the true story of a Los Angeles-based exotic dancer who fought with two unique alter egos, one being a 7-year-old kid named Genius and the other a Southern white racist woman named Alice.

Filed under: Halle Berry

Photo credit: AKM-GSI

I’m going to follow “his little arc”? Wow, that’s dismissive.

2. SiervaMaria

I know the Halle haters are gonna go bat_hit about the breastfeeding comment. It’s gonna be “who does she think she is, Gwyneth Paltrow trying to tell us yada yada yada……” I wish all could breastfeed too but I’m sure she just like me knows that isn’t the route many can go and some don’t want to go and that’s cool. Personally for me? Convenience, quicker weight loss, not guaranteed but darn near perfect birth control, less colds, less to carry, and did I mention convenience. Please don’t lose your minds thinking she’s being GP. She’s not.

• shelly

Anytime a celeb makes “pro breastfeeding” comments, the overly sensitive types who don’t breastfeed for whatever reason are on the warpath. Folks, it’s not about YOU, it’s one person’s view and experience, so don’t take it personally & move on to another article if this bothers you. IMO, I think the headline is intended to “bait” people like that and get them to generate comments.

3. Siisele

Where is her son a. Never see her with him! Sure lotta lies about breast feeding the nanny. Probably breastfeeds him, just like her, it is sad hen you see celebrities talk about how they do this with their child but they never are with them ! Has anyone seen her with her son!

• LaKesha

Have any of us seen her? How then can you say with certainty that her son is never with her? Did you read the article? She said she has her children on set with her, etc.

Yikes! You’re almost diabolical. Why would she not be with her 6 month old son? What, do you think she has he and his nanny/wet nurse set up in the servants quarters out back?

If you recall, we didn’t even get a glimps of Nahla (other than the photo taken by the guy who scaled her security wall and hid with a camera in the bushes….. scary) until she was about 7 or 8 months old I believe. And even if she never brings Maceo out in public for even longer, it’s HER BABY and HER CHOICE.

How could you hate someone so severely, and not even know them?

4. Jenn

I don’t think she was trying to get on a high horse and say oh everyone should breastfeed, it’s bad if you don’t (like Gisele). I think she was just saying it simply as, everyone should do it (if they can), because it really helps with the weight loss and for mom to eat better. That makes sense. I don’t think she was coming across as offensive or slamming moms who can’t/don’t breastfeed or saying anything related to how it is or is not beneficial to the baby. It wasn’t offensive like Gisele’s comment came across as.

5. Monique

A couple of weeks ago a website called pagesix has posted pictures of Halle with her baby boy Maceo on the set of her new movie. He is so cute!!

6. Ryller

Nothing she ever says has any truth to it, so who cares. And Olivier hasn’t even been in California for weeks.