Mayim Bialik Speaks Out In Defense Of Breastfeeding Her Son Until 4

mayim-last-days-passover

Mayim Bialik recently defended breastfeeding her son Fred until he was four.

The author of Beyond the Sling: A Real-Life Guide to Raising Confident, Loving Children the Attachment Parenting Way – told In Touch Weekly, “People laughed and sneered but it wasn’t wrong. Just because you do something your way doesn’t mean you can judge people who don’t. If I breast-feed and you don’t, it’s OK. I don’t think I’m a better mom and my kids aren’t necessarily better off than yours.”

The single mom to Miles, 8, and Fred, now 5, says the response she’s received online and via social media made her cry.

“The way that I parent is the way thousands of women parent all over the world, but I get flak for it. People say really mean things!”

In her personal blog, the actress shared what she plans for her kids before The Big Bang Theory starts up again.

She wrote: “Now that I am on hiatus, I do some publicity stuff. I do some traveling for work and some speaking engagements, and some for fun. I see my sons more and do normal mom things. And as soon as their classes end (yes, even homeschool kids have a summer break!), I hope to do beach things with them and just have some down time before we start Season 8 in August. And I have a ton of not very exciting, but necessary construction that I have to do on my house. That’s the summer plan.”

Filed under: Mayim Bialik

Photo credit: Kveller.com

1. SMH

I always say to each their own. You will never catch me breastfeeding a toddler but if you want to do it more power to you! But I believe the majority of other people who do it in other countries do so because its a main source of food/nutrition for their child unlike here in the US where food can be easily accessible its not always the case in some countries. All I know is if my kid is old enough to ask for a snack or drink and point to my breast it’s time to stop lol.

2. Adrienne

I love it. It isn’t about other people, society or even any posters who comment here. It’s about her and her sons well being. If I could, I would. Though, I pump exclusively, breast milk is super amazing and I understand wanting to give your child the best possible.

I think she’s even stronger because a) it isn’t easy and b) all of the flak and judgment being thrown her way.

To each their own.

I absolutely love Mayim’s attitude about her choices to parent her way. She is so non-judgmental. I wish everyone had her same mindset that there is not one set right or wrong way to raise children. Its whatever works for you.

I know the chances of it happening are very slim but I would love it if there could be an end to all of these “mommy wars”.

4. scooter

nothing wrong with it!

5. Jessica

Most people just don’t understand breastmilk! It grows and develops with the growing baby and eventually child and creates vitamins and antibodies fit for the needs of that child. Heck even the saliva of a child with a cold will signal the breast to make cold fighting antibodies. That’s how amazing it is. It doesn’t just lose nutritional value it grows as child does!
    I breastfed my first until 4 and am currently breastfeeding my almost 2 year old. I let my children self wean. They are both incredibly independent and well rounded.

It’s not for everyone but people need to mind their own!!

• Didi

Totally agree!i would like to do the same with my future children, self weaning is the best approach for children to explore tastes and food in general

6. Rosy

I think she is awesome for long-term breastfeeding…if only she had a more natural stance on infant circumcision!

7. Elinor

Good on her! I would love to breastfeed my future children til that age, or until they self-wean. I don’t think anyone should have to defend themselves over their decision to practice extended/full-term breastfeeding.

8. Annie

When you share your personal choices and life views all over the internet, you’re bound to get criticism for them, whatever they may be. So it irritates me that she gets so defensive: just stop talking about it and people won’t talk back!

In any case, I have nothing against her parenting ways, but I relate more to moms that say “I don’t have it all figured out yet”, or “we all make mistakes” rather than the preachy Mayim Bialik/Alicia Silverstone kind.

• Janna

People should be allowed to share their opinions on a topic without the world jumping all over them. Criticism is one thing, viciousness is quite another. And make no mistake, some people are downright vicious.