Toni Braxton Believed God Gave Her Son Autism Because Of Her Past Abortion

Our spinoff, HerScoop, is taking a look at Toni Braxton‘s new memoir, Unbreak My Heart.

In the new tell-all, the Grammy Award-winning singer, 46, talks about battling Lupus, bankruptcy and thoughts of suicide. She also opens up about her abortion regret and son Diezel’s autism.

“Coming from a very religious background, I was ashamed that I had an abortion in 2001,” Toni shared. “When my youngest son was diagnosed with autism I feared that I was being punished for my earlier actions.”

To read more about Toni’s painful past and how she’s learned to forgive herself, head over to HerScoop.
HerScoop

** And follow HerScoop on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and find us on Pinterest.

Filed under: Featured,HerScoop,Toni Braxton

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Adrienne

I believe along the same line of thinking… I had an abortion and my first daughter passed away at 6 weeks old ( after birth, not a miscarriage). I was 19 and. To this day It was the hardest thing I have ever gone through but I figured it was gods way of evening the score… I took a life of one of his children, so he returned the favor. I dunno if I believed in a God or the universe, but I definitely believe in karma.

2. Gemi

This is some ignorant crap that takes humanity back a few centuries. Seriously, this is why we need to push mental health care for women after abortions and after birth. They get depression and lose it.

• Jen

How is it ignorant? She’s relaying how she felt after having an abortion. She’s relaying how she felt after her son was diagnosed with autism. She felt guilt and grief and regret for both the baby she aborted and the son with a developmental disability…those are all valid emotions. And it’s easy to make the connection between those feelings of guilt and feelings of punishment…we all do that. She was being honest and candid about her emotional journey. Don’t be so obtuse.

3. Britta

I’m sorry, but that’s just wrong in so many ways!!!!
    There is no God!!!! People who still believe that nonsens
    are uneducated and ingnorant.

There is only one person on this board who is uneducated and IGNORANT and that is you. And before you call people uneducated, learn how to spell.

5. Laeta

Yes, that sounds like something God would do – punish an innocent child with an illness in order to punish his mother for aborting his sibling. Seriously? I’m far from denying her the right to suffer and feel guilty but it’s not the God I believe in.

I definitely believe in a God and I am a firm believer in karma but the way that she states that she believes her son having autism is a punishment just comes off as so cold. She makes it sound like his condition is a horrible burden she has to bear because of a poor choice she made in the past. Thats not something he is going to want to hear when he gets older.