Inspirational Parents Embrace Their Transgender Child

Screen-Shot-2014-05-31-at-8.22.11-AM-590x308 HerScoop

Our spinoff, HerScoop, is taking a look at an inspirational family-of-four in California.

Like most first time parents, Jeff and Hillary Whittington were tickled pink when their daughter Ryland was born healthy and strong.

But as soon as Ryland could speak, she would scream, “I am a boy!” While her parents assumed she was a tomboy, this ‘phase’ did not go away, and at the age of 5 they embraced Ryland as a boy.

To read more about the Whittingtons journey of embracing their transgender child, head over to HerScoop…

** And follow HerScoop on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and find us on Pinterest.

Filed under: HerScoop

Photo credit: YouTube

1. Robert Ward

How cute, a boy with a vagina….that doesn’t sound ridiculous at all

• Sophia

Are you serious? Learn some acceptance and think before you speak. Ryland is lucky he was born to parents who didn’t think “We’re not going to support our child because it would put us outside of our comfort zone”. Not everybody is born cisgendered and those who aren’t could use more support than just a sarcastically delivered label of ‘ridiculous’.

2. sara

Society’s gotten a little bit too pushy lately about this sort of thing. When I was about this kid’s age, I definitely for sure thought I was a boy. Because all my friends were boys. And I didn’t like pink or red, I liked black and blue. And I can tell you without a doubt that currently, while I definitely have my tomboy moments and I definitely sit around and joke about how my inner spirit animal is a bro…I’m in no way ACTUALLY transgender. I just have a few traits that are more masculine. But I still identify as a female wholeheartedly. A fucking two year old has no idea what gender IS let alone what gender they should be for the rest of their lives. AT LEAST wait until puberty before making some innocent kid decide their fate like this. Because puberty is at least when the hormones will kick in and they’ll have a better idea of who they are and who they want to be.

3. Anon

I think this topic is bound to be controversial. To me, I don’t think there’s much harm in letting Ryland pick his/her gender right now. If in the future he wakes up someday and says “I feel like a girl again” then I’m almost positive his parents will be fine with it and let him transition back. The point is, they’re doing what makes him happy. Right now, that’s being a boy. If someday they realize it was a phase and he is actually NOT transgender, it’s not the end of the world.

• Elinor

Well said! His parents are letting him live the life that feels right to him, and if it changes in the future then so be it. Having heard their story, though, it sounds as though Ryland is very sure of his gender and isn’t just going through a phase. But you said it perfectly.

4. Alex

Maybe the parents realized that when their daughter started liking to do boy stuff, this was their opportunity to get attention for themselves. Some people will do anything to get in the spotlight. When the poor girl does finally begin to identify as a female, I’m afraid her parents will push her to keep acting like a boy. I’m so upset by this. No child knows what they want when they are that young. I’m sorry, but if you have girl parts, then you are a girl! Wear boy clothes all you want, but you’re not going to the boy’s bathroom, you’re not changing in the boy’s locker room, and you definitely shouldn’t be referred to as ‘he’ if you are a ‘she’!

5. Jill

I am a parent so this touched my heart. Ryland started feel massive amounts of shame about himself…that has to so heartbreaking to watch your little child feel uncomfortable in their own skin. A child should live with complete happiness and innocence. I am so happy to see that Ryland has parents that are such amazing advocates for their children. It’s so hard to be parent and not care what others think around them. We live in a judgmental hard world where people think that everyone should be like them. I see nothing wrong with letting him be what makes him happy and if he feels different about his gender when he’s older, his parents will do whatever it takes to him/her happy. Ryland didn’t ask to be born. It’s better that people see the big picture…he’s a happy and healthy boy. The statistics regarding suicide for transgenders is mind blowing…I’d do whatever makes my child happy also.

6. Sharebear

Children do know what they want. My ex is trangender. When he was little he knew he wanted to be a girl. My ex parents didn’t apoved. He was told there something wrong with him. Didn’t understand why he felt like this but knew he he wanted to be a girl. That made him happy. He is a she now and enbrace who she is.